If you are anything like us here at Heroic Health headquarters, then you must also love flavourful foods! We are on a constant quest to find the sweetest, tangiest, spiciest, or just plain yummiest foods out there… and this week was no exception. Veronika came across this healthy recipe for Tandoori Chicken and immediately fell in love… and why not? For one thing, it uses fresh gingerroot, which is one of our favourite ingredients. We love the heat that it brings to dishes! Add not just one or two, but THREE cloves of garlic to that (another favourite), and you have something that is bound to be spectacular.
While we have not yet tried cooking this one at home, it is on the menu for sometime later this week… reviews to follow!! So stay tuned.
But in the meantime, why not try it for yourself? Hit up our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Heroic.Health.WellBeing ) and comment on this week’s recipe post to let us know what you thought!
- 8 boneless-skinless chicken thighs (about 2½ lbs.)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (2”) piece of fresh gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1¾ tsp. hot paprika
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooked rice, for serving (optional)
1) Preheat the broiler. Make shallow cuts in the chicken thighs with a sharp knife
2) Toss the chicken with the lemon juice and 1½ tsp. of salt in a shallow bowl
3) Pulse 2 tbsp. yogurt, vegetable oil, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato pasta, coriander, cumin, 1½ tsp. paprika and ½ tsp. salt in a food processor to make a paste. Toss the chicken in the mixture and let it marinate for 15 minutes
4) Place the chicken in a foil-lined broiler pan. Broil, turning once, until slightly charred and a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165 F (5 to 6 minutes per side)
5) Meanwhile, combine the remaining ½ cup yogurt and ¼ tsp. paprika, cilantro and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Top the chicken with the yogurt sauce and serve with rice.
Nutritional Info: 237 calories, 9g fat, 2g saturated fat, 115 mg cholesterol, 1,266mg sodium, 8g carbohydrates, 2g fibre, 30g protein