How experimental are you in the kitchen? By that, I mean how willing are you to take risks, try new and exciting things, and get your hands dirty? If you are anything like us at Heroic Health Headquarters, it’s one of your favourite things to do! And combining recipes or foods to create new and exciting foods is just one part of that… but one of the most fun!
Both the Mr. and Mrs. of Heroic Health luckily enjoy mostly the same (or at least similar) foods. And two of our favourites are lasagna and grilled cheese. So we figured… why not HAVE BOTH AT THE SAME TIME?? After much pondering, a lot of searching around online and some hard work, we had before us a spread fit for a king (if kings ate grilled cheese anyhow)!
Outrageous! Everyone said we were crazy… so we wanted to do it even more, just to prove them wrong.
The end result was a gooey, cheesy, melt-in-your-mouth-good lasagna that you can eat with your hands. Truly rockinè
Lasagna Grilled Cheese:
• 4 slices of bread that you love
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter with a dash of olive oil
• ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
• 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
• Salt and pepper to taste
• One 14-ounce can cherry tomatoes (you’ll have extra tomatoes left over)
• ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• Extra salt and pepper for seasoning
1) Lay out bread slices
2) In a medium skillet or nonstick pan, melt butter over medium-low heat
3) In a small bowl stir together ricotta, basil, salt and pepper
4) Top each slice of bread with a bit of mozzarella cheese. Top two of the bread slices with a few smashed cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. On the remaining two slices of bread, dollop and spread the ricotta cheese
5) Combine the sandwich halves and place in the warmed skillet. Grill on each side until golden. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 3 minutes before slicing in half and serving