I have made a rather wonderful discovery. If you have been one smart cookie and signed up for the Farm Vegetable Box program and then you were to go to Bulk Barn and pick up a jar of the AMAYA brand Coconut Curry Sauce, you can create something truly magical with the things you would then have on hand. I know this because my dinner today was truly fantastic. I had gotten home later than I normally like, and so dinner didn’t seem like the best idea. I dislike eating heavy things and then trying to sleep, you know what I mean?
So I decided to raid the veggie drawer and see what we had left over from our last farm veggie box shipment. Luckily, I discovered quite a few veggies of various types, colours, sizes and flavours… and so I decided that stir-fry it was! Besides, it would give me a chance to test drive this new coconut curry sauce I had gotten last time I went to Bulk Barn.
Well, the results were nothing short of spectacular! The curry sauce is just spicy enough to be amazing without being overpowering. The variety of veggies (that were cooked to an utterly perfect level of tender-crispness) made it even more amazing. I know that I really do love food and it may sound a bit extreme when I try to describe it to you sometimes… but this is one of those meals that YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO TRY!!
The vegetables are customizable, so use whatever you can find easily. In-season is always best obviously. Try to aim for wild rice, but regular brown rice would probably work just as well.
V’s Incredibly-Yummy-and-oh-so-Healthy Veggies & Coconut Curry:
- 1 jar AMARA brand Coconut Curry Sauce (available at Bulk Barn)
- 1½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, cut into 2”x1” rectangles
- package extra-firm tofu, cut into 2″x1″ rectangles
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 zucchinis, cut in half and sliced
- 1 small Chinese eggplant, cut in half and sliced
- 2 (different coloured) sweet bell peppers, diced
- ¾ cup sugar snap peas
- 5 to 7 asparagus spears, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 red onion, diced (you can use 2 or 3 green onions, diced, if you want instead)
- A handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- For garnish: handful of sliced peanuts (optional)
- 2 cups wild or brown rice, cooked
- Put the rice on to cook (follow the package directions, but it will usually take between 30 – 45 minutes)
- Chop up all of the vegetables
- Put the oil in a wok frying pan set over medium heat and mix in the vegetables. Cover with a lid and cook, stirring frequently, for about 6 minutes
- Mix in the AMARA Coconut Curry Sauce and combine well
- Continue cooking the veggies for about 6 to 8 more minutes. Test the veggies for doneness (they will be just a little more than barely done at this point). If you would like to cook them longer, do so according to your personal taste
- Serve veggies and sauce over rice immediately