Veronika here! Happy Monday everyone! Because I have Monday off this week, I figured that it would be a great opportunity to get this week’s healthy recipe out there to all of you. And boy…. do you think you’re ready for this one? It gets pretty intense, with bold flavours and a mix of healthy ingredients.
Did you know that water makes up 93% of the composition of asparagus? This healthy vegetable is low in calories and very low in sodium. It has a range of vitamins such as vitamins C, E and K, plus beta-carotene, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, protein, potassium, manganese, selenium, rutin, thiamin, chromium, and more! The amino acid asparagine gets its name from asparagus, which is relatively rich in this compound. Asparagus has been described as “cleansing and healing”, and it carries a range of wild and wonderful benefits (for example, it has been theorized that asparagus can counter a hangover!). Talk about your healthy side dish!! When you roast asparagus, it brings out the amazing flavours that pair oh-so-nicely with this dish.
So we paired our asparagus up with tilapia, one of our favourite fish because of it’s versatility and yummy, mild flavour. The end result is amazing! Tasty, healthy, energy-promoting and head-clearing (we found that it most definitely helped us focus when we tried eating it!)… everything that we look for in our Heroic Health-recommended recipes! Enjoy this with a glass of a sweeter red wine, like a Shiraz.
Bruschetta Tilapia with Roasted Asparagus:
- 4 tilapia fillets, about 1½ lbs. total
For the roasted asparagus:
- 1 bunch thin asparagus, about 1 lb.
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
For the bruschetta topping:
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1) To make the bruschetta topping: in a bowl, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano and pepper. Drizzle with oil and stir to combine. Set aside
2) Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
3) To make the roasted asparagus: snap woody ends off the asparagus. Place on one of the prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper
4) Place tilapia on the other prepared baking sheet. Spoon bruschetta mixture evenly over top of tilapia
5) Place asparagus on the bottom oven rack and tilapia on the top rack. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork
6) If the asparagus is particularly thick, remove fish and bake asparagus for 5 minutes longer before serving