You know that point in your fitness journey that is known as a plateau? That point you reach when you stop losing weight and even the amount of muscle that you gain slows to a halt? And I am certain that you all know how difficult it can sometimes be to break out of those plateaus and start making headway again… right?
Well luckily, at Heroic Health & Well-Being, we’ve all been there too. Everyone that works out can probably identify. But what everyone may not know is that it IS possible to break through that wall and start moving forward again (and faster than you might think!). So we have made it really simple for all of you and broken the steps for success down into small, easily-managed steps. Simply follow these guidelines and watch as the pounds melt away!
Now there is one thing that I feel I must state before we really get into all of this… these rules are basically just simple common sense! They are not mysterious, elusive, tricky or even untaught! These are all things that we have known for pretty much our entire lives. We were taught them as children… so when did they become so easy to forget??
- Eat one meal every 3 to 4 hours: now we aren’t talking about a five-course feast here. Eat something small and healthy every couple of hours because that will keep your metabolism running on high gear all day long, which in turn means that you will burn through more calories while in a relatively relaxed state
- Combine the following – ONE fruit or veggie, ONE food from the protein list and ONE healthy fat – in each and every meal: this sort of balanced eating will help you digestive system run at it’s best while providing you with all of the nutrients that you need to get through the day
- Have ONE “cheat” (some sort of snack) of your choice every day: this can be literally anything! Pretty much whatever you are craving that you gave up because it is simply too unhealthy to continue eating regularly… eat a small amount of it, gain the satisfaction, and then put the rest of it away to enjoy another time
- No alcohol, juice or soda: these three types of drinks are all positively loaded with sugars and sweeteners… and add nothing of any real value to your health! When a food or a drink is not adding anything to your health, then it must be (by simple logic) subtracting from it. Stop eating things that subtract from your health, and see if you feel any different
- Drink at least ONE cup of green tea per day: now I am not talking about these sweetened or bottled teas that are available on store shelves everywhere. Those drinks, while they may claim to be healthy (if it says “green tea”, it must be good for you… right??), are really chock full of sweeteners, artificial ingredients and chemicals. Do you really want to be putting all of that into your body?? Opt for honest-to-goodness straight up REAL green tea
- Drink a TON of water (8 glasses each day at minimum!): health experts have said that you should have about ½ an ounce of water for each pound of body weight you have… so for the average 140 pound human, that would be 70 ounces of water each and every day
- Tell your friends to back you up and hold you accountable: have a support system in place for those times when you feel as though you might slip up. It’s ok to make a mistake every once in a while, but try not to make a habit of it!
- Don’t forget that following an exercise program while eating like this plays a vital role in shedding those unwanted pounds of fat: getting in shape and shedding those unwanted pounds is actually only roughly 20% about exercise… and the other 80% is based on what you eat. Your nutrition plays such a vital role in how much weight you will lose and what your overall body will look like after you put in all of that work to get in better shape. Eat right, and you may be surprised at how much better you will feel and function, as well as how much better you will look!
To make it super simple and easy for everyone to choose the correct foods that will lead them to success on their weight loss and fitness journeys, we want to provide you with a basic list of a bunch of the foods that will help you to achieve success. Eat these foods, and you WILL reach your weight loss goals!
Fruits and Veggies:
- Green peppers
- Red peppers
- Natural peanut butter
- Flax seed
- Hulled hemp seed
- Chia seed
- Almonds (unsalted)
- Walnuts (unsalted)
- Cashews (unsalted)
- Pecans (unsalted)
- Sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (cold-hard pressed)
- High-potency fish oil (up to 6 pills per day)
- Tuna fish
- Grilled chicken breast
- Whey protein (1 scoop)
- Low-fat cottage cheese
- Low-fat Greek yogurt
- Omega 3 eggs
- Turkey breast
Try using these food guidelines as a substitute for the menu included with our “New Year, New You” fitness plan… you may be surprised at how easily the pounds will melt off!
Until next time, the whole Heroic Health team is, as always, committed to helping you attain your peak physique.