Even those with the best “better health” intentions may cave from time to time, and so when temptations arise like New Years Eve parties that are laden with alcoholic beverages and sugary snacks, it can be all too easy to put your health and fitness goals on the back burner and just let loose. This is perfectly alright (and honestly, to be expected in a lot of cases)! Don’t beat yourself up over it… besides, now that you are embracing a healthier lifestyle, you may notice that alcohol affects your differently (maybe causing things like hangovers, even if you didn’t get them prior top your health kick). Not everyone notices a difference, but if you have, don’t be surprised. So if you find yourself waking up on the morning of New Years Day with a splitting headache… well, we just might be able to help.
One of the most effective tricks for getting rid of a hangover is, as everyone knows, eating a nice greasy breakfast while drinking tons and tons of water. However, that is definitely NOT a very “heroic” thing to do!! So instead, let us propose a different plan of attack… in the form of banana bread!
Yes, that’s right… banana bread is great for chasing away those hangover-y blues. Although we can’t back that up with science, it is an observation that we made through our collective years in the post-secondary system. The fact that this one is made in a slow cooker, meaning that you can prep it BEFORE the partying gets started and set the timer so that it’s hot and ready to eat in the morning, well now that’s just a sweet bonus.
Slow Cooker Banana Bread with Cinnamon Butter:
· 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for preparing pan
· 3 overripe bananas, mashed
· ¾ cup sugar
· 1 large egg
· 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
· 1½ cups flour
· 3 tbsp. wheat germ (optional)
· 1 tsp. baking soda
· ½ tsp. salt
· ½ cup chocolate chips or toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
For the cinnamon butter:
· ¼ lbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
· 2 tbsp. quality honey
· ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
· Pinch of kosher salt
1) Place a metal rack in the bottom of slow cooker for loaf pan to sit on. Butter and flour a 8” x 5” loaf pan or other pan of appropriate size to fit in slow cooker
2) In a large bowl, combine melted butter and next four ingredients and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine flour and next three ingredients and stir until blended. Mix dry ingredients into wet and gently stir, just until flour disappears. Stir in chocolate chips or walnuts, if desired and pour batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top
3) Set pan in slow cooker, cover entire top of slow cooker with two layers of paper towel and secure with lid. This will catch any excess condensation in slow cooker and prevent the banana bread from getting too moist. Bake on low for 2½ to 3 hours or until a knife inserted into the centre of the bread comes out dry. Remove pan from slow cooker and place on a cooling rack until cool enough to remove from pan. Slice and serve with Cinnamon Butter. **If you are setting the timer so that it cooks up just in time for breakfast, don’t forget to time it to start running however many hours in the future**
4) To make the cinnamon butter: Combine ingredients in a bowl and blend, using a spatula until well mixed. Serve butter room temperature, alongside banana bread