So do you remember back in high school (elementary school, even) biology class, when we learned about the heads of different animals? I am thinking specifically of the teeth. Carnivores (meat eaters) have sharp, pointed teeth for piercing and tearing, whereas herbivores have flat. wide teeth for crunching. Omnivores eat b oth, and have teeth somewhere in between. This is a fact of nature and standard across the board.
Tell me then, where in the course of history did someone decide that humans are meant to eat meat?
This debate has raged on for a very, VERY long time now. Humans: are we really meant to have carnivorous habits? Most humans are omnivores, eating both plants and meat. But did you know that eating meat can have some seriously damaging side effects on your health and body?
http://meatlessmonday.com lists quite a few reasons why it is a good idea to limit your meat intake. Check it out to learn about how to limit cancer risk, reduce heart disease, fight diabetes, live longer and reduce your carbon footprint just by eating green.
But wait! Don’t panic. I can hear some of you protesting that you like meat. So this isn’t to say that you need to go all out and give it up entirely! Like the gang at Heroic Health, maybe try going just one day each week (hence the “meatless Monday” idea) without eating meat.
But just in case you needed a few more reasons, here is a list, brought to you by The Complete Idiots Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition (https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Complete-Idiots-Guide-to-Plant-Based-Nutrition/157211347680253 ), so you can learn why you should go meatless on Monday (and everyday)!
- Because there are no nutrients found in animals that aren’t found packaged better in plants
- Because fiber and phytochemicals are the two most important classes of nutrients for fighting disease and protecting immune function and they are found only in plants
- Because we do not need animal products to thrive
- Because the research shows better health and the prevention and reversal of chronic diseases using a plant-based diet
- Because animal product consumption is the number one cause of global destruction
- Because eating animals requires unnecessary horrific cruelty and the torture and slaughter of billions of animals a year
- Because whole plant foods taste delicious on their own and there are infinite combinations of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, herbs, spices, nuts and seeds to make any type of satisfying, extraordinary meals!