Here at Heroic Health headquarters, we have been on something of a seafood binge this past year or so. Not that this is a bad thing (because it isn’t at all!), but it’s remarkable how similar a lot of seafood can taste after a while.
Luckily, our femme fatale in the kitchen has this wonderful way of being able to tweak the taste of dishes to make them completely new and different, just by changing a few key ingredients! And this is how this particular dish was born.
The name may be long (Grilled Sea Scallops with Creamy Hot Pepper & Garlic Vinaigrette…. what a literal mouthful!), but boy will you have no trouble remembering it! Scallops are a new favourite over here with us, and this way of cooking them is not only healthy, but when the crispy scallops are paired with the creaamy vinaigrette, it sure doesn’t get much better….
So pull up a chair on the patio! Break out a bottle of Pinot Noir! And get ready for a flavour experience that will start your July off with a BANG!
Grilled Sea Scallops with Creamy Hot Pepper & Garlic Vinaigrette:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup hot cherry peppers, chopped
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices good white bread, crusts removed and finely processed
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1) Put the mayonnaise, cherry peppers, vinegar, 2 tbsp. parsley, mustard, lemon juice, 2 tbsp. olive oil, thyme and garlic in a blender. Season with salt and pepper and puree until fairly smooth. Set aside
2) Heat the remaining 2 tbsp. oil in a medium sauté pan over high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and cook until lightly golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1 tbsp. parsley and the lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper
3) Preheat the grill to high heat for direct grilling
4) Skewer 2 or 3 scallops onto 2 skewers so that the scallops lay flat. Brush both sides with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the scallops until well-caramelized on one side, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook another 30 seconds or so. Remove to a platter, drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs