I am certain that by this point in the holiday season, you are already planning out the menu for your various holiday festivities and events. Every great festivus needs a solid menu… but what if your family just isn’t into being too terribly healthy? I mean, sure things like pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce and sugared almonds are super yummy, but they can also cause havoc in your diet.
Luckily, we live in the Era of the Pot Luck Meal, meaning that many times, you may be expected to contribute a dish to the table. Could there be any better opportunity to sneak something super duper healthy in there, and get everyone to love it before you even admit to them how healthy it actually is?
This salad is a tried, tested and true favourite. The wintery flavours all combine with the quinoa to create a salad worthy of Yee Three Kings.
Winter Quinoa Salad:
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked quinoa, any colour
- 1 cup cubed cooked sweet potato
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 4 kale leaves, shredded
- ¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup cubed feta cheese (optional)
- To make the dressing: combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl
- Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, add dressing and toss until well saturated