One of the only things that makes fall and winter tolerable is the fact that it’s chicken soup season! And all of us here at Heroic Health headquarters love a good solid pot of chicken soup. However, if you are like me (V) and your family only ever really made one type of soup as you were growing up (granted, it’s really good soup… but with a major lack of variety), then these days you, like me, are probably no doubt craving something warm and soupy that has a bit of a different flare.
Well, boy let us tell you… this soup wins in the “different” category! The sweet potato and thyme add something that “normal” chicken soup just plain doesn’t have… and the end result is incredible. Warm, comforting, healing and everything else that we all know and love about chicken soup, taken up a notch! Break out your bowl and spoon, serve with some crusty bread and get ready to get comfy.
Sweet Potato and Thyme Chicken Soup for the Soul:
- 1 tbsp. butter or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 quarts of homemade chicken stock
- ½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- Small handful of fresh thyme chopped
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 yam peeled and chopped (or more)
- 2 cups carrots sliced (or more)
- 2 to 3 big handfuls of spinach sliced thin (or more)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place butter/coconut oil in a stock pot
- Add garlic and onions saute a few minutes
- Add poultry seasoning, bay leaf, thyme, and salt & pepper. Saute a few minutes
- Add chicken stock and drop in raw chicken breasts
- Let them simmer for 10-15 minutes, pull chicken out and shred, return to pot
- Add veggies, simmer until done
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy!
(We found this recipe at Hannah Hepworth’s Whole Simple Life webpage… she has